PM says PTA with Uzbekistan to be signed after consultation with FPCCI

0
29

KARACHI: Prime Minister Imran Khan has announced and assured the President FPCCI Mian Nasser Hyatt Maggo that there would be no PTA signed in Uzbekistan without consulting FPCCI. He was chairing the question answer session with members of Pakistani delegation in Tashkent accompanied by him on the visit of Uzbekistan.

During the session President FPCCI Mian Nasser Hyatt Maggo stated that the Prime Minister’s decision to bring a big delegation in this country is worthwhile and there is a scope for us. There is also a great scope for us and incentive for the host country to use our Gawadur port, Karachi and Port Qasim for trade expansion. We have also got a great opportunity.

Maggo said; I have learnt from Mr. Razak Dawood that we are going to sign a Preferential Trade Agreement (PTA) here with Uzbek government. In this regards we don’t know what items are being included in the list of this agreement therefore I would request you to kindly consult with local business community specially with Pakistan Federation of Chambers of Commerce & Industry. We must be consulted that what are the items where we can give them and get leverage for us so that our local industry is not hurt, earlier it has happened in various PTAs, he added.

PM Imran Khan replied that there is ample time for you to have consultation because it is being signed in the month of September. Without consultation with you, and FPCCI we will not sign this PTA, Prime Minister added.

Mian Nasser Hyatt Maggo further stated that the aggrieved people having access to you are only 10 to 15 percent while remaining 85 percent are unable to convey their problems to yourself hence, they are not heard. We have repeatedly asked to get some time from you to discuss various vital issues of our trade and industry that could enhance the national growth rate from 3-4 percent to 7-8 percent. If these different issues are brought to your kind knowledge it would be highly benefitted for the country, Mian Nasser Hyatt Maggo concluded.